Throughout February the National Fire Safety Campaign is concentrating on fires arising from cooking.
Indeed, many years ago the family of The Bloxwich Telegraph’s editor suffered a chip pan fire which destroyed their kitchen, but thankfully the house was saved by Bloxwich firefighters – so we know just how important this campaign is!
Somewhere around 60% of all accidental house fires begin in the kitchen and can be prevented by following simple guidelines.
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to reduce the risk.
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the hob.
- Keep appliances clean – keep oven, hob and grill free from a build up of fat and grease that can easily ignite and start a fire.
- Use a deep fat fryer rather than a traditional chip pan – modern fryers have thermostats that prevent the oil from overheating and are far safer than traditional pans.
If you should experience a fire in the kitchen turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Do not attempt to tackle the fire yourself. Get out, stay out, AND CALL 999!
If you require any further advice, please contact your local firefighters on 0121-380 7552. If you would like a visit from us to discuss all matters of home safety, please call 0800 389 5525.
Why not also check out our Fire page with the latest campaign poster? REMEMBER – being aware of the dangers of kitchen fires could save your home – and your life!Kitchen fire image provided by West Midlands Fire Service