Gunners FC arms

MATCH REPORT: Gunners FC v Lane Head Raiders

Gunners FC arms

Last Sunday 30 September, under-13’s football teams Gunners FC (Bloxwich) and Lane Head Raiders (Willenhall) played a match at Willenhall Comprehensive School.

The final score was Lane Head Raiders 6, Gunners FC 3.

The following match report has kindly been provided by Daren Fellows, Chairman of Gunners FC, who are based at the Gunners Club in Bloxwich.


The Gunners next match will be played at Leamore Park tomorrow, Sunday 6 October, against Blakenall Harriers.  Kick-off is at 10.30am.  New members are welcome.


The third game of the season for the Gunners was an entertaining game against Lane Head Raiders on a windswept pitch at Willenhall Comprehensive School, with both teams in search of their first win of the season, but eventually Lane Head came out on top.


Lane Head kicked off and started to attack straight away, putting the Gunners defence under pressure from the start.

After 2 mins a break from the Gunners resulted in a fine pass from Harry Fellows setting up Jake Bailey whose shot whistled over the bar. Lane Head then started to attack, forcing good tackles from Aston Billiard and debutant for the Gunners Adam Stephens.

Dion Patterson in the Gunners goal made several fine saves in the opening minutes, along with some good defensive work from Joe Tennant, Billy Cartwright and Leon Powell. Gunners then started to attack, with another good pass from Harry Fellows to Jacob Kirwan who fed the ball to Michael Price who shot just over the bar after 10 mins.

The game then went into a battle for the midfield, with both teams evenly matched until Lane Head gained posession from a Gunners goal kick which resulted in them taking a 1-0 lead after 17 mins.

From the restart, Lane Head forced a throw in deep into the Gunners half and the resulting cross from it was turned into the Gunners net by their defender Adam Stephens for an own goal and 2-0 to Lane Head after 18 mins. Two minutes later a Lane head shot narrowly went over the bar, and this seemed to spur the Gunners on with a Harry Fellows shot on 24 mins going over the bar and a good effort from Joe Tennant saved by the Raiders goalkeeper a minute later.

A good pass from Henry Jones to Harry Fellows on 29 mins again produced a shot over the bar. Could this spell of Gunners pressure produce their first goal of the season ? Yes it could and did and after 32 mins another good pass from Henry Jones to Jake Bailey resulted in a fine shot and goal 2-1.  A minute later a cross shot from Harry Fellows across the penalty area was narrowly missed by Michael Price for a tap in but it didn’t matter as a minute later and just before the half time whistle Ryan Wain scored after a mistake in the Raiders defence after a Gunners corner 2-2. Half time.


The Gunners kicked off the second half hoping to start as they finished off the first but the Raiders were pushing forward and forced a good tackle from the Gunners defender Leon Powell. A minute later a shot from James Hale hit the Raiders post and the resulting clearance saw another good tackle from Leon Powell.

The game was now going from end to end, with both teams evenly matched, but after 42 mins Lane Head went 3-2 up after a good build up and attack. Two minutes later the Gunners forced a corner taken by Harry Fellows and resulted in the ball going in the net from a Ryan Wain header for his second and the Gunners third 3-3. Another two minutes later a pass from Harry Fellows to Jake Bailey who’s shot was tipped around the post and the resulting corner caused Michael Price to shoot wide.

The Gunners defence were then called into action on 50 mins but Aston Billiard cleared the lines well. After 55 mins Lane Head forced a goal kick to the Gunners but the goal kick was intercepted and a pass and shot from Lane Head made it 4-3. From the kick off Ryan Wain forced a good save by the Lane Head Goal keeper but their clearance drove them forward into attack and produced a fine goal to make it 5-3.

Again after the restart and on 60 mins Lane head pushed forward and scored on the break to make it 6-3 and put the game beyond the Gunners. The Gunners did force a corner 3 mins later but Ryan Wain’s shot went wide. The Gunners did have the ball in the net after 68 mins but Harry Fellows was given off side. The final whistle went 2 mins later.


Dion Patterson in the Gunners goal produced some good saves and the defensive team of Joe Tennant, Leon Powell, Aston Billiard, Adam Stephens and captain Billy Cartwright cleared the ball well and produced some good solid tackles. The midfield team of Henry Jones, Jacob Kirwan, Ryan Wain, Jake Baily and just edging it as star man for the day Harry Fellows all battled and at times passed the ball about well, creating chances for the forwards James Hale and Michael Price who also tried their best and on another day their chances would have gone in.

Even though it was a much better performance from the Gunners they are still in search of their first win of the season, and if they perform like that again and make sure they put their chances away it shouldn’t be long before it happens.