Staff of Walsall Police Station have been busy organising a collection service for items for sending to UK armed forces personnel at war, since a colleague who has a son currently based at Camp Bastian, Afganistan realised that our ‘boys and girls’ currently serving out there would benefit from a few home comforts as they are currently working 12 hour shifts in 40 degree heat.
So kind-hearted coppers – who certainly know their duty – got their heads together and decided to organise a ‘Bin Relay’ to help collect goodies for hard-pressed servicemen and women.
Items can now be donated for sending overseas via Walsall, Bloxwich, Aldridge, Willenhall and Darlaston Police Stations, and police officers/local residents/local community business’s are also being asked if they would like to make a donation to this very worthwhile cause.
The idea is that members of the Royal Navy will then make the necessary arrangements for our boys and girls in Afghanistan to receive the donations.
Items particularly welcomed as donations include:
- Gift Cards/Note Paper with Envelopes (to send a personal message to serving armed forces personnel).
- Flip Flops (male and female).
- Personal Hygiene Products (shaving/showering/washing products) – MUST BE NON AEROSOL.
- Books/Magazines/puzzle books.
- Biscuits (not chocolate).
- Sweets (apparently they love Haribo)!!,
- DVDs and CDs.
- Entertainment (Travel Games).
- Playing Cards.
- Lightweight Leisure Clothing (Shorts/vests/T-Shirts.)
- Summer headwear (hats and caps).
Any donations would be very gratefully received, whether from individuals, organisations or businesses. It is expected the bins of goodies will be collected and sent off at the end of October.
Walsall Local Policing Unit’s website is available via this link.